Harley-Davidson’s 2012 XL1200V Seventy-Two
Harley Davidson’s new for 2012 “Seventy-Two” combines authentic ’70s chopper attitude, modern power and premium H-D styling in a new bare-bones, lowrider-inspired radical custom. The “Seventy-Two” is a metal flake dream machine. It s a trip back in time to the days that I rode a “Hustler” bicycle with ape hangers and a banana seat and the big guys were riding choppers. Those motorcycles were long, lean and candy-apple coloured with tons of gleaming chrome.
This new bike from Harley Davidson with its Hard Candy Big Red Flake paint and ape hanger bars and narrow whitewall tires is a throw back to that era, and to the influence of the custom culture that is still hot today. A new generation of custom builder is tapping into that era in garages across the country, and even around the world.
According to Harley Davidson Styling Manager Frank Savage, “In creating the Seventy-Two, we were also inspired by the vibe of the early chopper era.” He adds “Those bikes were colourful and chromed, but also narrow and stripped down to the essentials. You look at period examples and they are almost as simple as a bicycle. It’s a custom style that’s very particular to America and that California scene.”
Metal flake, the classic design element of the 70s, was used on everything from dune buggy gel coat to vinyl diner upholstery, and on custom motorcycles. Harley Davidson Motor Company brings the sparkle back on the Seventy-Two motorcycle with Hard Candy Big Red Flake paint. This new finish is created by applying a black base coat, followed by a polyurethane system that carries hexagon-shaped flakes that are more than seven times the diameter of the metal flake that is used in typical production paint. Each flake is coated with a thin aluminium film and then tinted red. Four applications of clear coat, combined with hand-sanding, create a smooth finish over the flakes.
“The final touch to the Hard Candy Big Red Flake paint is a logo on the tank top and pinstripe scallop details on both fenders,” says Savage. “Each was originally created by hand, and we recreated that art in a decal for production, so they still have the appearance of hand-applied graphics in that they are not exactly perfect. The graphics are then covered with a final clear-coat application.”
More of the paint is exposed with the use of solo seat on the Seventy-Two. The motor is finished in grey powdercoat with chrome covers and a new round air cleaner with a dished cover. A classic Sportster® 2.2-gallon “peanut” fuel tank adds another period touch to the motorcycle.
2012 Harley-Davidson XL1200V Seventy-Two Model Highlights
- Paint color options: Hard Candy Big Red Flake with period pinstripe details on fenders and fuel tank, Black Denim, Big Blue Pearl
- Powertrain is finished in Gray powdercoat with chrome covers
- Chrome, eight-inch round air cleaner cover
- 2.1-gallon Peanut Tank with lightening hole mounting bracket
- Dunlop® white wall 21-inch (MH90-21) front and 16-inch (150/80B16) rear tires
- Chrome Laced wheels
- Stainless steel mini-ape handlebar, mounted on a two-inch high riser
- Chopped rear fender
- One-piece, Sportster® classic solo seat
- Side-mounted license plate
- Solo seat with black textured vinyl cover
- Handlebar-mounted speedometer with chrome cup
- Chrome rear fender struts
- Chrome coil-over pre-load adjustable rear shocks
- Forward foot controls
2012 Harley-Davidson XL1200V Seventy-Two Features
The Seventy-Two motorcycle offers a classic Sportster® 2.1-gallon fuel tank, narrow whitewall tires, Chrome Laced wheels, and high mini-ape handlebar that complete a look that nods to chopper custom motorcycles of the 1970s and to current trends in garage-built custom motorcycles.
- Air-cooled Evolution® 1200cc V-Twin engine with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI), rated at 73 ft. lbs. peak torque at 3500 rpm
- Rubber-mounted powertrain to reduce vibration
- 5-Speed Transmission
- Chrome, staggered, shorty dual exhaust with slash-cut mufflers
- Disc Breaks
- Optional factory-installed Harley-Davidson® Smart Security System with hands-free, proximity-based security fob
And for those of you that are looking for a windshield for your Sporty, FX or other Harley-Davidson model, check out this great deal from amazon.com
TMS Smoke Tinted Windshield Harley Davidson Sportster Dyna Glide Softail Kawasaki Vulcan VN 500 750 800 900 1500 1600 Suzuki Savage Intruder Volusia Boulevard Yamaha Cruiser Warrior Road Royal V Star Honda Shadow